Gulai Cipuik ▪︎ Riau
Adapted from here.
- 1 kg whelks
- 2000 ml coconut milk
- 3 cm galangal, bruised
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 3 Indonesian bay leaves (not the same as normal bay)
- 2.5 cm turmeric
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- Salt, sugar, chicken powder to taste
Spices to blend
- 3 red cayenne chillies
- 5 green bird’s eye chillies
- 3 roasted candlenuts
- 5 Indonesian onions (1.5 shallots)
- 5 cloves of garlic
Blend up the blended bits.
Boil the whelks for 5 minutes.
Sauté blended spices until fragrant.
Add galangal, lemongrass, bay leaves, and turmeric and stir until wilted.
Add coconut milk, mix well, and bring to a simmer.
Add the whelks, season to taste.
Stir until everything is smooth it’s reduced enough.