Kerutup Ikan ▪︎ Jambi
Adapted from here.
- 2 fish, tilapia or similar
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Indonesian onions (1 shallot), finely chopped
- 2 large red chilies, finely chopped
- 4 banana leaves
Spices to blend
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 cm turmeric
- 1 cm galangal
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 10 red bird’s eye chilies
- 2 candlenuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 Indonesian onions (2 shallots)
- 1 small tomato
- Salt, sugar, and chicken powder to taste
Blend up the blended bits
Mix with the chopped chilli and onion, fry in a little oil until fragrant. Set aside.
Clean out the fish if necessary
Marinate the fish in lime juice and salt for 15 minutes.
Warm the banana leaves until they begin to wilt to make them easier to form.
Cover the fish in the spice mix, leave to stand in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Wrap the fish in banana leaves and tie.
Grill for 10 minutes until half-cooked.
Fry the whole package in a little oil, cover the pan, and cook until the banana leaves start to burn.